I just KNEW I had found something special. As soon as I saw it at Good Will my hand never let go. Others walked by and oohed and aahed, I told them it was mine, with a smile, of course. Oooh envy was dripping in the aisles, I tell you.
So after I took it home, I got out some Murphy's Clean and Shine and gave it a good rubdown. Then I started looking for a manufacturer's label, I had to know more about this piece. This beauty measures in at the majestic height of 53.5".
The seat had several mysterious holes, not sure why! And a number 5 that just won't rub out. So it's staying.
Very hard to read, but after googling different versions of this rather odd spelling, the word Enkeboll came up. I could not find any other chairs at that time but there were some other interesting wood carved furniture pieces of that name. These folks are masterful wood artists, check them out. They don't make these dining sets anymore.
I found an Enkeboll page on Facebook and sent them a pic, and got this prompt reply. I was sooo delighted to finally have a backstory for my awesome chair. Discovering the provenance of an old/er piece just adds to the fun.
Taped it to the bottom of the chair for posterity!
I figure it is worth a $300-400. Not sure - totally guessing. I FEEL that value. But in this day and age you can say ANYTHING and it is FACT. (Not so LOL.)
And in case you forgot, I paid $19.95. ; )
So that's how I thrift!
PS - I am really laughing now. I decided to throw $5 to the
I have one opening in Monday morning (FILLED) and one in Wednesday morning (Waiting for response). I have contacted the first people on each of the wait lists. However if I do not hear from them I will go down the list. IF you would like to be on a WAIT LIST, please let me know. We start a month of Still Lifes next week (Feb).
CLASS TIMES at Riley Street Art Supply, Santa Rosa, CA
Mondays 10 - noon
Mondays 1 - 3
Wednesdays 10 - noon
- $100/mo for 4 classes.
- Inclusion in our private Facebook group with weekly lesson summaries and uploaded student art
- Classes limited to 9 students
- Students who need to miss a class can reach out on FB page and switch with one another.
- Miss a class? Login to FB and ask the other students to fill you in.
- Learn how to take good photos with your phone as well as how to edit them in prep for paintings
- Each month or so we study a new theme: color theory, still lifes, value paintings, collage, and on and on!
- Paint what you love...you decide your subject matter (most of the time).
- Acrylic, and some mixed media.
- Supplies list available. As well as a Facebook tutorial.
Be Creative. It's Good for the Soul!
And leave a COMMENT while you are at it. ; )